Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 1: Change

I always hit this point of the year in mid-January (and I don't think I'm alone) where I just feel stagnant all around; the air is depressive, no sunlight, and to top it all off, it's just freezing cold. I hate the bitterness of winter, not only the physical oppressiveness of the air, but also the toll it takes on emotional and mental well being. However, yesterday, I watched this short video interview by Luann Cahn with Kevin Eubanks, American jazz guitarist and leader of the Tonight Show Band during Jay Leno's reign.



Kevin has a few things to say about changing your life, the way to go about it, the perspectives one should (and should not have), but he pointedly states to not be "too ambitious." Don't try to make changes where there aren't any. Don't try to be the next American Popstar or America's Next Top Model. That's not what this next year in my life should be about. It's called "One Year of Firsts," and I'm starting my year of firsts today. The point is to feel "alive and vibrant," to escape the repetitive motions and routines of every day life.

I don't want to fall into the same old patterns. I don't want to stop discovering or learning new things, just because I've graduated from college and am not receiving a formal education anymore.

Every first will give me something to look forward to.
Every first will give me new perspective on my life, even if it's negative.

Every first will just be...
something new.


Day 1: Gym in the AM

Now, this wasn't a profound experience or anything like that, but working out in the morning had an incredible effect on the rest of my day. I was genuinely cheerful the remainder of the day. It started the motor in my brain; the wheels were running smoother than ever before. It was just one simple change I made to my day. I don't know if I keep this up everyday, since I wake up at 6:50 a.m., anyway to teach English to high school students. However, this seed has been planted in my head that I have the ability to go through every day with this great appreciation and enthusiam.

No comments:

Post a Comment